Spread the love

A few nice Writing Competition images I found:

Image from page 98 of “Picturesque Donegal: its mountains, rivers, and lakes. Being the Great Northern Railway (Ireland) Company’s illustrated guide to the sporting and touring grounds of the north of Ireland” (1908)
Writing Competition
Image by Internet Archive Book Images
Identifier: picturesquedoneg00shru
Title: Picturesque Donegal: its mountains, rivers, and lakes. Being the Great Northern Railway (Ireland) Company’s illustrated guide to the sporting and touring grounds of the north of Ireland
Year: 1908 (1900s)
Authors: Shrubsole, Edgar S
Subjects: Donegal (Ireland : County) — Description and travel
Publisher: London : W. Cate, Limited
Contributing Library: University of California Libraries
Digitizing Sponsor: MSN

View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book

Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.

Text Appearing Before Image:
drives and an iron. A series of hillocks guard the green.All round is excellent natural golfing ground. Number seventeen, The Hearth (559 yards), is a fullthree shot hole, with good lies between the drives, the second ofwhich is over a typical sand bunker. The third must carry asecond bunker. Number eighteen, Rosapenna (300 yards), is within viewof the hotel. A drive and an iron hole. The ground is muchbroken up, and a large sand hole offers difficulties on the verythreshold of home. An admirable green. TlTe par reads thus :— Out : 3, 5, 4, 5, 5, 4, 5, 3, 5=39 ) _^-,In : 5, 4, 5, 5, 4, 4, 5, 6, 4=42 f -^^ Visitors to the hotel are charged for the use of the links—Is. per day, 5s. per week, 10s. for a family ticket. Memberssubscription, 21s. Caddies must be engaged through the caddiemaster. A professional golf player is in attendance : fee forplaying 2s. 6d. per round. Ladies are permitted to play. NoSunday play. Weekly competitions occur from March untilSeptember. Sheep Haven Bay.

Text Appearing After Image:
47 SHEEPHAVEN BAY.

Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.

Library Photography Competition 2011 entry
Writing Competition
Image by Loughborough University Library
By Sachin Patel

Police, Fire and Courts Complex, Accrington, Lancashire
Writing Competition
Image by mrrobertwade (wadey)
Sir Percy Edward Thomas OBE (13 September 1883 – 19 August 1969), was an award-winning British architect, based in Wales for the majority of his life. He was twice RIBA president (1935-37 & 1943-46).
Percy Edward Thomas was born on 13 September 1883 in South Shields, the son of a sea captain from Narberth in Pembrokeshire, with whom the family often travelled. The family moved to Cardiff during the 1890s, and Captain Thomas died at sea in 1897.
Percy Thomas began work in a shipping office, but changed to a career in architecture on advice from a phrenologist. In 1903 he won the architecture competition at the National Eisteddfod of Wales in Llanelli. After several years working in England, he began collaborating with Ivor Jones of Cardiff, and they went into partnership in 1913
Wikipedia

Listed Building

GV II

Fire station, 1933, by Sir Percy Thomas, in simplified and streamlined
classical style. Ashlar, flat roofs on 2 levels. Single storey of 2
different heights. Essentially symmetrical facade of 3 elements; a
large rectangular central block with lower wings as a reflected pair.
The main block has a colonnade of piers framing 5 tall garage doorways
and a staff entrance, a square-panelled frieze. The wings have 3
similar but small doorways and a window at the inner end. At rear
and attached by a wall to the main building is a hose-drying tower of
six storeys, entirely plain except for the top storey, which has
pilaster strips and pedimented roof, giving the effect of a small temple.
Designed en suite with Police Station (q.v.)

Listing NGR: SD7635128200

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.